What is FOTA and how do I use it?
FOTA stands for Firmware Over The Air and is a way for you to update the firmware (the built-in software) of your Automower® robotic lawn mower yourself. The firmware is downloaded to your mower using the mobile network.
- Firmware version
- Download new firmware
- Install new firmware
- Release notes
- An Automower® model that supports FOTA
- The option Check for new firmware updates must be enabled in Automower® Connect (found under More > My mowers > Mower details). In the factory setting, this function is enabled.
- For Automower® models that communicate with the Husqvarna Cloud only using Wi-Fi, the charging station must be located in an area with Wi-Fi coverage.
In addition to the above, we also recommend using the latest version of the Automower® Connect app.
If you have one of the models that can be updated using FOTA, you can see what firmware version the mower is using in Automower® Connect under More > My mowers > Mower Details > Software version.
Download new firmware
The firmware package is automatically downloaded directly to the robotic lawn mower. When the firmware has been downloaded, the installation can be started in Automower® Connect. Here are some details about the firmware download:
- The mower checks for new firmware once a week.
- When the mower has detected that new firmware is available, it will start downloading it.*
- Firmware package downloads are included in the mobile subscription for the mower.
- During the download, the mower will stay parked in the charging station until it is finished.
- If a scheduled start is planned during the download, you will see a message in Automower® Connect stating that the mower is downloading firmware. When the download is complete, the mower will start mowing according to the schedule.
- It can take 1–4 hours for the mower to download the firmware.
*For Automower® models that communicate with the Husqvarna Cloud only using Wi-Fi, the charging station must be located in an area with Wi-Fi coverage. If the charging station is placed in an area with a weak or no Wi-Fi signal, the robotic lawn mower will not be able to download any updates. If so, you need to contact a dealer to update the mower.
Install new firmware
When a new firmware package has been downloaded to the mower, a notification shows in the Automower® Connect app, where you can opt to install the new firmware.
Tap Install to start the installation or Discard to make the notification disappear for now. You can find the installation option again under More > My mowers > Mower Details.
Note that the mower will be disconnected from Automower® Connect when the installation starts. It will reconnect automatically when the update is complete. The update process usually takes about five minutes.
- In the firmware notification, tap Install, or tap More > My mowers on the menu and select Mower Details.
- Tap Install firmware update.
- The mower must be sufficiently charged for the installation to start. Tap Park mower to put your mower in the charging station.
- Tap Install firmware update to start the update.
- The firmware update is now complete. Tap Done to finish the installation.
You can follow the installation progress in the Automower® Connect app.
What should I do if installation fails?
If the installation fails, restart the mower. Reconnect using Bluetooth and verify which firmware version is installed in Automower® Connect under More > My mowers > Mower Details > Software version. If the new version is installed, everything is fine. If not, restart the installation.
Don’t hesitate to contact your local dealer if you need help updating the firmware.
Release notes for models that support FOTA
- Automower® 405X/415X
- Automower® 435X AWD/535 AWD
- Automower® 320 NERA/430X NERA/450X NERA
- Automower® Aspire™ R4