All seasons lawn care tips and maintenance schedule
For a healthy lawn all year round, use our lawn care and yard maintenance tips.
Yard work can be hard work! Fortunately, Husqvarna is here to help make it a little easier. Follow these tips to keep your lawn looking green and healthy throughout every season of the year.
For starters, here are some general tips to follow:
Select a lower mower cutting height in the spring and fall and a higher mower cutting height in the summer. However, always be mindful of your particular climate and type of grass seed. Be extra cautious about applying pre-emergent herbicides at the same time – or even the same season – as new grass seed. Read labels carefully and plan ahead!
Get ready for new blooms and warmer weather by doing the following:
- Prevent grass mold by cleaning up any yard debris, including sticks, pine cones, leaves and scattered mulch. Finish the job quicker with a lawn sweeper, and use a chainsaw to cut up fallen limbs.
- Use a lawn roller to level out uneven areas caused by freezing temperatures and thawing soil.
- In early spring, cut down on weeds by applying a pre-emergent herbicide.
- Aerate the lawn to open up compacted soil for warmer temperatures and new seed.
- Overseed any bare or patchy areas in the lawn.
- Start mowing only after grass has begun to actively grow.
- In late spring, apply a low-nitrogen fertilizer to accelerate your grass into the summer months.
Click here to read our complete spring lawn care guide.
Maintain an amazing yard throughout the dog days of summer with these tips:
- Apply a grub control product in early summer.
- Mow grass on a regular basis to maintain its health and prevent patchiness or overgrowth. Use a robotic lawn mower for a tidy appearance 24/7.
- Maintain lawn edges with an edger or string trimmer.
- Fertilize or kill weeds as needed, but avoid using these products during extended droughts or dry spells.
- Water grass deeply, but no more than necessary. Overwatering will prevent grass from establishing a strong root system, and may lead to fungus.
Click here to read our complete summer lawn care guide.
Welcome autumnal weather to your property with the following steps:
- Use a leaf blower and bagger attachment to clean up leaves.
- Dethatch your lawn as necessary.
- If you didn’t aerate in the spring, do so now. You may overseed bare areas, too, but make sure you’re at least a month out from the first frost.
- Apply a light dressing of fertilizer once in early fall and once in late fall.
- For the final mowing, raise the mower’s cutting height slightly.
- Spray any perennial weeds.
Click here to read our complete fall lawn care guide.
Help your lawn endure the colder months with the following regimen:
- Perform engine maintenance on lawn care equipment according to your owner’s manuals. Sharpen mower blades.
- Remove lawn mower deck and attach snow blade or snow thrower, plus weights and chains. Alternately, invest in a new snow blower.
- In late winter or early spring, apply fungicide to the lawn.
Click here to read our complete winter guide.