What is ethanol fuel and why is it bad for your small engine outdoor power equipment?
Ethanol fuel, a gas additive, is everywhere! Nowadays, the gas you pump from almost every gas station contains a blend of gasoline and ethanol. The percentage of ethanol blend is indicated by the E number. For example E10 means the gas mixture contains 90% gas and 10% ethanol. In automobiles, ethanol fuel won’t do much harm to your car's engine. However, when you're using gas with ethanol mixture in your outdoor power equipment, you run the risk of engine damage and incurring costly repairs.
What are the effects of ethanol fuel?
E10 fuels are approved for usage in lawn mowers and outdoor power handhelds like gas chainsaws, trimmers, and leaf blowers. Gas with higher concentrations of ethanol is not. Always refer to your owner's manual for the correct fuel to use.
- While E10 fuels are approved for small engine equipment usage, it is not recommended, especially in handheld products. Gas with ethanol separates while being stored in your gas tank. The 2 stroke oil remains bonded to the gasoline but not to ethanol. Thus, the ethanol and water part of the mixture contains no oil for engine lubrication. This leads to poor lubrication, performance issues and costly repairs over time.
- Ethanol will start to absorb water over time, leading to poor engine performance. E10 gas absorbs up to 50 times more water than standard gasoline. It is recommended that you replace gas in your fuel tank every 2-3 weeks to avoid alcohol and water related engine issues.
- Ethanol is also an excellent solvent. Simply put, it will dissolve plastic, rubber, fiberglass and much more, potentially causing serious problems to small engines.
What are solutions to the ethanol problem?
- Purchase ethanol free gas.
- Always keep your fuel fresh! Never buy and store gas for more than a 30 day supply.
- Use pre-mixed ethanol free fuel for your power equipment. We offer the best pre-mixed fuel option for the your handheld equipment. For a limited time, you can extend your Husqvarna gas handheld, like chainsaws, trimmers, and leaf blowers, for up to 4 years by purchasing Husqvarna premixed fuel along with your handheld purchase. See the extended warranty program for more details.