2 Years of Ownership - I like it!
I've now owned this mower for over 2 years, and I like it better now than I did when first purchased. (Mostly due to plenty of experience with a few of its quirks!) Here are my thoughts:
1. As mentioned, PLENTY of power - learn to ease out the clutch reliably and it becomes a non-issue, in my opinion.
2. Yes, the safety stops / cut-off features are very sensitive. The bagger sensor needs to be quickly cleaned every now and then or it registers the bagger as not closed and cuts off. (I literally take my broom, give the bagger mechanism a few sweeps and back in action!)
3. Not sure if this is an issue unique to my machine, but I find that I need to make several (more than expected) loops around my yard before the mower is "warm" (??) enough to carry the load of the engaged mowing deck. My neighbor has a older model JD, that he backs out and immediately starts mowing - my machine has to run a while before I can start cutting.
4. Debris! Well, let's be honest - this mower leaks some serious debris out of the bagging mechanism. I was surprised after my first summer mowing that my back was pretty dirty from cuttings after mowing. But hey, I don't exactly mow in my prom dress - so I can handle it!
5. I have had NO issue dumping my bag successfully while remaining seated on the mower. I'm a 5'6" female, and while it takes a bit of "ummph" in your left arm to snap the bagger back in place after the dump, it's certainly doable! (Not doubting those that have had issues, just saying I haven't experienced any problem.)
6. Love the slim size! I can rocket through my standard gate and into my shed without issue...love it!
7. LEAVES! Leaving the best for last, I have 3 fifty year old sycamores in my small front yard! (Death-by-monster-leaves!) Although I usually make two passes over the lawn, my little mower kicks leaves! Not once has my chute gotten clogged, and the sheer volume of leaves I mow over is amazing. The mowing deck's highest setting is not as high as some competitors, and I do push a good bulk of leaves at times with the front end - BUT, this simply redistributes into a thinner layer, and the 2nd pass catches these remnants.
To me, this little mower is PERFECT for a small lawn, or narrow gates. Learn it's quirks, learn to ease the clutch and it will be a work horse for you - just like me!
November 16, 2013
I've had this mower for a few months now
I had read all the other reviews and found myself agreeing with some.
* There is no gradual clutch action. Starting in any other gear other than 1st causes front tires to lift.
* Clutch/brake is similar. either is stop or go.
* The rear dump is nice but sometimes its difficult to re-position from the seat. It is hard to realign without getting off. However, making some adjustments had made it better.
Cutting close on both sides is a big plus as well.
Over all I believe its a good mower...so far.
Question for Husqvarna.... will you be coming out with a mulch kit for this particular mower?
September 19, 2013
not what I thought it would be
Bagger system is terrible! I want to put the clippings in a bag to put to the street. If you want a mower to work in a small tight yard it should have a hydrostatic transmission. It will not turn sharp because the engine over powers the small front tires. The exhaust is louder than my old John Deere lawn tractor. I live in Alabama and we cut a lot of grass.
September 8, 2013
Not what I had hoped for
After mowing about 2 acres, some critical design flaws became evident.
1) There is no gradual clutch action at all. It is either on or off, no in-between. Starting in any gear above 2nd snapped my neck back and caused tremendous jerking and front tire lifts.
2) Similar to the clutch, the brake action was either on or off, making gradual stops impossible.
3) The grass catcher simply could not be dumped and repositioned from a sitting position. Grass accumulation and excessive lateral motion prevents proper realignment of the catcher after dumping without getting off mower.
4) Smaller tires result in easy wheel spin, causing the mower to get stuck easily.
5) Safety sensors are too sensitive. Engine cuts out if leaning slightly in the seat or if grass catcher isn't perfectly alligned (which is very difficult to do due to poor design).
August 30, 2013
I feel like I got a lot of wrong info
First off this is a great mower and im happy with the way it cuts and the power. I got my mower a little over a week ago and have used it twice now.
We had to order this mower and I was not able to see it before ordering but I was thinking it would be like Husqvarna said, But after getting my new mower and putting it together I have found a few things miss leading
1 The transmission is not a Hydrostatic like they say on there web page it is a 6 speed
2 There is no deck wash
3 Also the cut hight only goes to 3.5" not 4 as they say
Other then the info on there website making this mower sound like a better deal this is a great mower with tons of power
June 19, 2013
I've had the SRD17530 for about a month now and have cut my 1/2 acre of grass 4 times.
The steering is very light, it's very manuverable, it's got a comfortable ride and it cuts nicely. The rear bagger works well; it dumps easily. Cutting close on both sides of the deck is a big plus.
I had to level the curtting deck and also adjust the rear bagger sfter delivery.
Unfortunately, the gas tank has a split in it so that it leaks fuel if you fill it up too much. Lowes said they'd take it back and give me a new one....but I decided to just order a new tank, and an hour meter as well. Am waiting on those parts now.
Have had 2 different riders over the last 40 years (Sears, Snapper); this one by far is the best.
June 9, 2013
I needed a 30" mower to get fit in my shed. This the only one that I could find. I didn't really want a bagger but it works great. It turns tighter than the 28" rear engine Snapper that I replaced. It also doesn't catch the back wheel on objects that the deck clears like the Snapper. I wish they still made this in a regular tractor.
May 25, 2013
Doing a good job for my yard
I purchased last season and this mower is doing a great job for my yard as I was hoping for from this 30 inch cut rear grass catcher machine. After 1st winter it started right up.
The rear grass catcher is great to dump from the driver seat. Its best feature is that I can cut up close to things on either side without the typical side discharge tube sticking out hitting things.
The reverse cut feature is fanatastic because of the smaller areas I have to cut but yet I can restore the safety feature in more open areas when grandchildren or dog is around.
This is a great all around mower for my 1/2 acre lot with lots of trees, flower beds, patio stuff. I would and have recommended it as it was recommended to me by a friend.
May 8, 2013