How to change engine oil on a lawn mower
For your lawn mower to function optimally, make sure that you change the engine oil each year. It is best to do this before the start of the season.
How to check the engine oil level in a lawn mower
CAUTION: An oil level that is too low can cause damage to the engine. Check of the engine oil level in your lawn mower before you start it.
- Park the product on level ground and stop the engine.
- Remove the oil tank cap with the attached dipstick.
- Clean the oil from the dipstick.
- Put the dipstick fully into the oil tank to give the correct picture of the oil level.
- Remove the dipstick.
- Examine the oil level on the dipstick.
- If the oil level is low, fill with engine oil and do a check of the oil level again. When filling the tank with oil, use a funnel to prevent any spills.
NOTE: Make sure to use the recommended engine oil for your specific lawn mower. You can check this in the operator’s manual. Do not mix two different types of oil.
How to replace engine oil in a lawn mower
WARNING: Engine oil is very hot directly after the engine is stopped. Let the engine cool off before you drain the engine oil. If you spill the engine oil on your body, clean with soap and water.
- Disconnect the spark plug wire from the spark plug and place the wire where it cannot come into the contact with a spark plug.
- Remove the engine oil cap/dipstick; lay aside on a clean surface.
- Use a pump to empty the oil. Clean the mouth piece when you have finished to avoid oil spillage.
- Check that all oil is removed using a dipstick.
- Refill the oil in accordance to the oil and amount specified in your product's operator's manual.
- Use the dipstick to check the engine oil level.
- Run the lawn mower until the tank is empty.
- Remove the ignition cable from the spark plug.
- Remove the oil tank cap.
- Put the container below the lawn mower to collect the engine oil in and prevent any spills.
- Tilt the product to drain the engine oil from the oil tank.
- Fill the tank with a recommended engine oil. You can find the correct engine oil type in your product's operator's manual. Do not mix two different types of oil. We recommend using Husqvarna SAE 30 engine oil.
- Do a check of the engine oil level.