For most people winter isn’t the busiest time of year when it comes to gardening but it might be a good idea to set aside a few minutes to check up on your hibernating power tools. In order to get the same performance next spring it is important to service trimmer, hedge trimmer, Ride-on and walk-behind mower before storing them. There are a number of great tricks to keep in mind, and it can also be a good idea to turn in the machines for a treatment at a Husqvarna service center.
Lawn mower service
• One thing not commonly known is that the fluid left by cut grass is rather corrosive. That’s why it’s extra important to clean gardening tools, and mowers especially, before storage.
• When you service a lawn mower, be sure to empty out all of the gas. Leaving gas in the tank during storage may lead to problems when starting your engine.
• If your model has an assisted electrical start, the battery can use a full recharge during winter.
Tractor and Rider service
• Go over the cutting deck, blades and belts to ensure that there’s no visible wear and tear.
• If needed, use the off-season to turn in your machines for a Rider service or a garden tractor service. Filling up on oil, checking air filters and syncing the all wheel drive are imprortant services to ensure optimal performance of your mower.
• Remember to fully recharge the battery at some point during the winter months to ensure a flying start to the season!
Trimmer and hedge trimmer service
• When it comes to trimmer and hedge trimmer maintenance, it’s easy to forget to remove smaller debris that may have become stuck between the blades. Take a few minutes to ensure that the machine has been properly cleaned. If not, dried grass, sticks or twigs are usually fairly easy to get rid of.
• Just like with the walk-behind mowers, it’s a good idea to empty out all of the gas left in the tank. Gas left in the machine for longer periods of time can make it tough to start the engine next season.
• A professional trick for trimmer service is to remove the trimmer line and let it soak in fresh water during the winter season. By doing so, it will maintain its flexibility, handle more strain, and last longer.
• For best results and prolonged product life, give your trimmer the deluxe treatment and turn it in for a day at the service center. If you would rather do it yourself, use Husqvarna’s UL spray to get the hedge trimmer blades ready for the spring.
If you’re looking for more tips and tricks for maintenance, service and winter storage of your machine, check out our FAQ section found to the right.
Below you can find a video about winter storage, service & maintenance of your Husqvarna machines.